Sunday, November 9, 2008

How Time Flies

Dear Family and Friends,

I can’t believe another week has passed so quickly. Let me give you some of the highlights of my week here in Haiti.

Last Sunday night, after I posted my blog, Joan and Tim hosted a singing and prayer time on the Gutwein’s porch. We prayed specifically for the Presidential election in the States and the country of Haiti. Haitians are very interested in what happens politically in the U.S. because the leadership of the country generally affects any international aid programs, of which Haiti is often a beneficiary. On Tuesday, I found myself working alone in the office with Marie Lucie. I said, “Hey, where did all the Pastors go?” Marie Lucie said, “They’re listening to the election coverage outside!”

Monday night, I said goodbye to a new friend. Christina (aka Tina) moved back to Germany after a year of service in Haiti for the Cite Lumiere Domestic Center. I will miss her, but I know God will continue His work through her wherever she is; her passion for the oppressed people of this world is inspirational, as is her smile and joy in service. Sheila and I also had Rick Schwartz and Christophe over for supper on Monday night because they’re boys, and it’s a well-established fact that boys tend to starve when left to fend for themselves in the kitchen. I’m kidding! It’s fun to have company over for food and fellowship.

Tuesday afternoon, I enjoyed ladies tea at Joan’s house and we discussed our missionary Thanksgiving. It felt a little strange to talk about turkey and stuffing while sweating in the shade of a palm tree. Tuesday night, Christophe, Rick, and I watched The Princess Bride (classic!) and ate some famous Gutwein popcorn while I proceeded to bribe Rick with Paydays so he would play mailman and take out all the Childcare Christmas letters. It turns out that bribery was unnecessary. He has a good heart and agreed to take five pounds of mail to the States for me. Thanks, Rick!

Wednesday night at church, we watched a testimony of a woman who was born with one finger on each hand and one toe on each foot. She talked about her life, struggles, and joys, and then...she played the piano! It was amazing! It certainly made my little trials seem like pebbles next to Mount Rushmore. It was a good adjustment for my perspective.

Thursday, we had a Cite Lumiere Committee (CLC) meeting. Friday, I said goodbye to Rick and Sheila. Rick left (with my mail) for the States, and Sheila left for two weeks to live and study Creole with a Haitian family. So, Friday night, I hosted a movie night at the Gutweins. It was a good time with junk food and friends. Saturday, I took at break from computer work and Creole assignments to swim at the Wray’s house with Katie.

I had such a great Sunday! I went to Renault again with the Wray family. This time, Dr. Paul and his wife, Mary, came, too. It was wonderful to see the program in action again and greet the children. Rod showed a portion of the Jesus film in Creole and everyone was fed again with the four huge pots of rice and beans. On the way back to Les Cayes, a truck was stuck up ahead of us on a very narrow pass, so Rod had to pull him out. Right after I got home from Renault, Dirk and Karen Martin picked me up for an afternoon at Port Salut. It was the perfect day to go to the beach. The water was warm, the sun was shining, and the beach was clean and fresh. We even had lunch on the beach! It was the perfect way to relax after a long week.

Is it too early to ask for my Christmas present? Well, I’m going to ask anyway because I know exactly what I want: I want to fund the Wray’s Sunday school program for a week, which comes to about $300. They provide the rice and beans and water for each child, the generator, sound systems, gas, prizes, and tents, not to mention the love, dedication, time, effort, and energy it takes to run a program this size. I’ve felt God’s hand upon this program, and I’ve seen the results of how God’s Word and the love of Christ in action can touch the lives of these little kids in their smiles and hugs. It’s my Christmas wish that this program continue to grow and succeed. I’d like to be a part of what God is doing in Renault. If you’d like to be a part of His work in this area, you can send a contribution with a memo of “Wray-Sunday School” to:

Harvest International
3711 N.E. 42nd Lane
Ocala, Fl. 34479
Phone: 352-622-1818

Your prayer support for this program, and all the other missions and missionaries in Haiti, is just as crucial. We at Childcare ask that you continue to pray for the students in the program, the school and churches we support, and the Childcare staff.

Thanks so much for all your love and prayers on my behalf. They make all the difference in the world! I got some great pictures this week - I hope you enjoy them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/Nov20082

Love,
Abby

No comments: