Sunday, February 15, 2009

Homeward Bound in 3 Days

That’s right – 3 more days and I’ll be home! I hate to say it, but I’m betting I’ll be totally worthless at the Child Care office Monday and Tuesday. I’m mentally making lists, packing, cleaning, watering, and planning. My head is so full of home that I’m fairly sure it won’t be willing to reconcile or correspond to anything. We’ll see...

Monday morning, I went into the office early and put the finishing touches on the storage room. I wanted it to look fresh and clean for Marie Lucie and the pastors. I think it was a big success. When I get back, I’ll be tackling the old filing cabinets, outdated forms and procedures, and supply room where Pastor Joe used to work. In any case, it was nice to have this project finished! I can’t remember what I did on Monday night...I really can’t. It’s blank. Too much has already happened since then. Very often, I can’t remember what I’m wearing if I can’t see it. Whenever I would wear my winter coat in Indiana, I couldn’t recall what I had on underneath it unless I physically unzipped my coat and looked. So, it’s no big shocker that I have trouble recollecting my Monday when it’s Sunday.

Tuesday is blank, too. Sorry. Oh, wait. I remember now. Tuesday was tea at the Moses’ house and some of the S.E.E.D team came and joined us. Mary Honegger and I chatted about sea containers. It’s all coming back to me now. Bob and Mary were having supper that night at Johannes and Lusie’s house, so Doris invited Sheila and I to join them at the Nami for supper. It was a lovely night. I got to talk with Ricot, Mandy, and Micha, which was a lot of fun, and meet some more of the team. It was such a nice treat! On the way home, it started to rain and I noticed that someone left a light on a Child Care. I got plenty wet getting to the door. Then, since I was wet anyway, I decided to play in the rain. As it turns out, I have a kindred spirit in Sarah Reinhard. I met her at the swings in the pouring rain. After a charming, soaking bout of swinging, we decided to play chess at my place. Sarah and Bethany brought Dominos and taught me how to play while we drank cappuccino. It was a great way to spend a rainy night.

Wednesday, Bible study was packed! I’ve never seen it that full. Val and I ended up sitting in the very back of the classroom on top of a desk. Art Mueller gave us a history lesson about missions and the need for senders and goers. I spent a good hour after the service with Larry Kaufmann discussing Child Care, Haiti, and missions in general. Thursday, Bob and Mary came to Child Care to say hello and Regan met her little boy, as well. Thursday afternoon, I tagged along with Regan, Alisha, and Tess to the LSM home in Fond Frede. It was super fun watching the little girls color pictures. I traced their hands on their papers and they decorated them beautifully! We went into town after that and bought snacks and supplies for the weekend. That night, the girls came over for movies and popcorn.

Friday after work, I cleaned out my closet and made lists for the supplies I need to stock up on when I get home. I said goodbye to Mme. Marie and Mme. Emilio. I won’t be seeing them again for a month. I spend some quality time with Regan on Friday night. It’s been so nice to have her here this week!

Saturday was a beach day! Sun, lobster, surf, books, sleep, snacks. Yes.

Sunday, Regan and I went to Renault. The new permanent building is beautiful! They just put the roof on this week. The team was super fun! We had the most peaceful exit I’ve ever seen. Dwayne, from the Wray’s team, did an amazing job working the gate with me. He’s big, intimidating, and quick – a perfect combination for a Renault gate worker. In any case, I think Regan had a good experience and I loved being there for my last Sunday in Haiti for a while. After Renault, we went directly to the LSM home at Torbeck to take pictures of the girls in their Sunday best. After many hugs from the girls, I took Regan to Tet Simon. We soaked our feet in the spring and just relaxed for a few minutes. After working through Renault, being smothered in little girls and covered in road dust, it felt amazing to take a shower this afternoon and sit for a while. The girls are coming over in a minute to watch a movie, and then I’m going to call it a night. I have a couple of busy days planned for next week!

I’m going to keep blogging this next month. I think it’s good to record my thoughts and activities before all the days go totally blank....were was I? Oh, yeah – blogging. Maybe some of you readers will show up in my pictures these next four weeks!

Please pray for traveling mercies on Wednesday. I have some tight connections. Thanks! Homeward bound...

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/Feb20093?feat=directlink

Abby

1 comment:

Becca said...

I keep checking this to see if any new posts.
None yet. :(

Just kidding. That must mean you are having too wonderful of a time enjoying fam and friends to write. Good for you. :)