Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Highlights


Dear Family and Friends,

It’s raining. Really raining. Sheets of rain. It’s actually Monday morning here, but I’m going to date this blog for Sunday night because I enjoy continuity and because I can.

It’s been raining off and on for two days. I’m feeling permanently damp. The concrete floors seem to have a continuous sheen of moisture and the rugs feel clammy. I ran my finger over my computer this morning leaving a little line in the dampness. Thank goodness, I don’t have to go to work. It’s Flag Day in Haiti, and all the MEBSH offices and banks are closed. It would be a very unpleasant walk up the hill to the office; I haven’t quite learned to walk in mud yet without wearing some of it all day.

The highlights from last week:

Visiting Tess in the hospital after she and Jan went down on his motorcycle. Thankfully, nothing was broken, but according to the pictures Val took, knee stitches do NOT look fun. They were maybe four hours away from the clinic, but Tess insists that her knee went numb after a while and she didn’t have much pain on the way back. Unfortunately, she can’t say the same thing about being numbed up for the stitches. Check out that needle in the pictures and you’ll see what I mean. OUCH!! The gash was deep enough to need inside stitches and outside ones, too. I told Evil Knievel to keep the high flying entertainment to a minimum this week.

Hosting a movie/dance night with Tess, Alisha, and Kara where we forced Andrew to practice the samba with us (being the only boy in the group) and did the electric slide around the living room. The night evolved into Indian leg wrestling followed by the limbo. We ended the night just chatting and eating pretzels.

Unpacking the container and receiving 500+ school and health kits for Child Care, as well as our new motorcycle for the Child Care school inspector. I got three amazing boxes from my family and my cousins, Leah and Liz. Plus, I am now sitting on our new couch from my sister, Molly. Previously, we were couch sitting for the Reinhards until their new house was done and ready for furniture. I’m so thankful for it as I very often spill out into the living room to work, read, or chat. My room just doesn’t have the airflow to stay cool during the evening hours. So, I really appreciate a good couch, and I’m loving this one. Thanks, Molly!

Learning to drive the old Toyota and making my first solo drive on the main road into Cayes. My uncle, Ted Habegger, taught me to drive a stick shift in the States in March. Nick and Leah graciously let me borrow their car to practice with for a week, but I haven’t had any practice since. On Saturday, Jan took me out to practice with the old Toyota. Then, he let me drive Andrew to Azile Dorcus as he rode along. Finally, when Andrew was done, he let me pick him up all by myself. Yes, I killed it three times sitting in the Gutwein’s yard until I realized the emergency break was on just doing its job, but other than that, no problems.

Enjoying the fellowship and support team that came in Saturday and having a singing with them on the Gutwein porch Sunday night. We visited Azile Dorcus after church and were stuck there for an hour as sheets of rain poured down from the sky. We couldn’t even sing because the noise was so tremendous on the tin roof.

If you have a weak stomach, don’t look at Tess’ stitching pictures. Yikes! And, a big Happy Birthday to my brother, Joe, one of my best friends, Stefanie Kipfer, and my Dad. I love you!


A bushel and a peck and a squeeze around the neck,

Abby

2 comments:

MarknBarb said...

Abby,

Muchas Gracias for the great post(s). Our apologies for not always commenting; but we always read your blog and look forward to it on Mondays. Love the pics. Feel like we know the Gutwein kids.

MarknBarb

Becca said...

You look so great in that picture at the top of your post! I love it!
Thanks for sharing each week! Love ya!