Sunday, May 24, 2009

Just Plain Sick

Dear Blog Readers,

I'm sick. I have this gaggy, hacking, body-racking cough. My lungs ache, and I've lost most of my voice. Interestingly enough, I've found that when you whisper at people, they tend to whisper back at you. It makes for many quiet exchanges. I'm chugging tea and colloidal silver and chewing as many vitamin C's as I can. It's been a wretched week.

All that rain I mentioned last Monday just kept on coming. By Tuesday morning, Cayes was flooded and the river came over the bridge. The UN helped the situation by directing traffic and maintaining order, but the flooding devastated houses and gardens. It was still raining on Wednesday, but the flood waters had receded somewhat. We had so much lightening that I was concerned about our computer equipment at the office, and when I went to check on it Tuesday morning, there was standing water in the reception area. Apparently, the outer doors and window slats are no match for driving rain. After church Wednesday night, I began to feel this tightness in my chest. I wasn't feeling the greatest on Thursday (in spirit or in body), but we had an evaluation team visiting Child Care in the morning, so I made my appearance for the meeting and left quickly afterwards. I stayed home from work on Friday and tried to doctor myself while getting my laundry done. It was the first truly dry day for a week, so I had to take advantage of it.

Saturday, I spent a lot of time on the couch, but I was able to babysit the Pfister kids last night. We played Chutes and Ladders and Uno. Today, I've barely moved from my reclined position. I have precisely six movies and three books on the table in front of me, in addition to a cup of tea, a roll of toilet paper, a bottle of vitamin C's, my glasses, and a pair of earphones. I listened to the services from Bluffton North and watched to two Jane Austen films while drinking numerous cups of a chamomile concoction.

Truthfully, I'm not looking forward to next week. My spirits are low, my throat is raw, my nose is peeling, and Tess is leaving for the States. As down as I am now, I'm sure my spirits will be much improved by the following week. My Dad and two sisters are coming for a visit! I've been looking forward to this since March. Grace is planning on staying for the month of June, and I'm traveling back with her in July. I must say, I'm very excited to have them here! It gets lonely.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/May20094Flood?feat=directlink

I'm making myself another cup of tea. I'm going to float to my bed tonight, but if my throat feels better by morning, it will all be worth it. Thanks for the prayers. It's been a rough week.

Abby

3 comments:

MarknBarb said...

Hey Abby,

You're a terrific writer, even when you are sick. Hope you feel better soon.

Excited for you and Grace to be together for a month.

Stay dry

MarknBarb

ps I, Barb, love Jane Austin movies too:)

Unknown said...

Abby,
Sorry to hear you are "under the weather" (floods, maybe only funny to me). I have a whole lot of jetlag from 15 hr. hk to chicago flights, but I will pray for healing. We had a great HK visit.
Lots of rain there, too. Take care. Love you.

Becca said...

Yuck. Those pictures of the flooding look awful. I hate it when floods cause damage to homes and crops, etc. Those poor people. I'm so sorry that you are sick and spirits are low. I will definitely pray for you. Hang in there!
Love ya!
Becca