Sunday, June 21, 2009

Recreos and Waterfalls



Dear Blog Readers,

I've been telling Grace that Haiti is kind of...boring. When it gets dark, there is just not much to do. I tend to read and watch old episodes of the A-Team on Hulu, but I was worried that Grace would be bored in the evenings. Alas, she has assured me that Haiti is anything but boring. And I quote, "I climbed a waterfall, for goodness sake!" [Grace is awesome. She is full of incredible awesomeness. Awesomeness flows through her veins and makes up the majority of her aura. Her nickname down here has become "The Awesome One" and she has become an instant celebrity...mostly owing to the fact that she is awesome and little bit because she is white. The End. God Bless.] As I left for but a moment, Grace proceed to write the previous entry in my blog. I think I'll leave it...

In any case, this week started out with Grace feeling less than awesome. Being the poor guardian that I am, I wasn't paying too much attention to her eating and drinking habits. On Monday morning, I was eating my toast in the kitchen when I heard this little voice say, "Abby, I think I'm going to faint." Grace is on the floor, completely white and clammy with cold sweat. I got her back into bed, but every time she stood up, she felt nauseated and lost her color. As it turns out, she was dehydrated. Sometimes, I forget Haiti is hot. I stayed home with her Monday and forced her to drink water and Gatorade. (Grace is NOT an awesome patient. I had to nag her for hours to finish one glass of water. Ridiculous!) By Tuesday, she was feeling better. However, on Wednesday, we were both feeling a little sickish, so we stayed home from Bible study and listened to Bluffton service. Thursday, feeling much better and ready of an adventure, we followed Christophe to the waterfall. It was a really lovely day. I think Grace enjoyed the two hour 4-wheeler ride as much as climbing the waterfall itself.

On Friday, we went to work in the morning and watched the Pfister kids in the afternoon while Rich and Amber attended a kindergarten graduation. Then, we had the pleasure of listening the the Bible School program. Saturday, I took Grace to Port Salut for the first time. We ate lobster on the beach and enjoyed the sun. Today, we went to Renault for the last time. Molly had left a box of toys and candy for distribution, so we took them to Renault for prizes today. If a child could say a memory verse or sing a Sunday school song, they got an extra treat from the goodie box. It was so much fun to watch the kids get bubbles or a jump rope, but more than that, it made me feel proud and grateful to have been a small part of teaching a child about Jesus, to have helped feed hungry bodies and souls. Renault has been a highlight in my Haitian adventure.

I'm going to be working hard this week at Child Care making sure Marie Lucie has everything she needs before I leave. I'll be copying files, writing requirements for the children for next year, working on time sheets and mileage accounts, instructing the Pastors on backups and backpay, and whatever else needs to be done.

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/June20093?feat=directlink

I'm also on the Stateside job hunt for the next two weeks, and I need to get all my things around to distribute to the other missionaries. I'll be coming home with some clothes and....well, that's about it. It will be fun to give all my things new homes. All in all, this week will probably go fast!

Many blessings,

Abby





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will miss seeing Haiti through your eyes and camera. Wishing you many blessings as you move back to USA. Safe trip to you and Grace.
Love you.