Sunday, August 17, 2008

Greetings from Haiti!

Bonjour, family and friends! Greetings in Christ from Haiti.

It’s been a week of firsts – going to market, exchanging money, visiting my new co-workers and neighbors, going to missionary church, seeing the LSM home in Torbeck, navigating Les Cayes and Simon, buying flour and phone cards, riding as a passenger on a motorbike to look at Haitian cell phones, surviving my first tropical storm (Fay), paying Derek to remove two toads from the inside of my window, organizing the house, eating strange fruit, and learning to love a good, cold shower. And those are just the highlights.

Two main thoughts have been circling in my mind for the last two days. (1) God is God. He is faithful and good. (2) Praise God for the Gutweins and Sheila! Seriously. I would be totally lost without them. Jan gave Sheila a driving lesson, and Val has fed us multiple times while we adjust to life here and wait for our house lady to start tomorrow. Tess and Alisha baked us cinnamon bread and pizza. Mark and Derek keep us cool by letting us use their pool and Joel keeps everyone on their toes. Brett has shown me the true meaning of contentment. Sheila comforted my heart when I was low and fought Satan for me in prayer during a spiritual attack. They have uplifted my spirit, fed my soul with wisdom, and kept me sane during my first few days of homesickness and sadness. They truly represent the servant heart of Christ.

I’m starting work tomorrow at the Child Sponsorship office and beginning my Creole lessons with Jean-Claude, an instructor that the Gutweins have used. I’m looking forward to another week of firsts. I’ll try to post a new entry every Sunday with pictures and stories from the week. Thanks for your prayers and God bless.

Here are my first five days in pictures. I hope the captions are helpful!

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/August2008

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm praying for you Abby; the Lord is everywhere we go and has been there before us to open the way. Pretty soon those firsts will be everyday happenings. Blessings, Kathy

Heidi said...

Sooo sad to miss you- I didn't even get to hug you:( Great pictures! We really loved the Fay video and hearing your voice- Joe said, "That's my sister!" We love and are praying!

Becca said...

Hey! I'm loving the blog already. I can't imagine the transition that you have had already and will continue to have with the "firsts". I will pray for you. fo sho. :)
Love ya!!

Stephanie Shackelford said...

Ahh, my friend!! So good to read about your starting moments on this incredible journey!! Sounds like God has blessed you well already! I can honestly say that I understand the tough moments...just in slightly different ways! Lot of love to you...and prayers...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update, Ab! I've been wondering about you all week...especially after hearing about the hurricane! I praise God you made it down safely and will continue to pray as you transition from "newness" to "normalcy." I sure miss you! Love, former roomie Sheri :)

Grace said...

Abby! I'm rejoicing that God has blessed your first week. I'm praying for you "without ceasing." Keep on the firing line!

Leah said...

Abby, I am SOOO glad that you are posting this blog. It makes it seem like you are not so very far away after all. Please know that I'm praying for you daily. I love looking at the pictures and I really enjoy the captions. I can almost hear your voice saying them. May God bless and keep you!