Sunday, August 24, 2008

How do you say...

This week, I officially started my new job at the Child Sponsorship office and began taking Creole lessons. I work with Marie Lucie, the director, John, the office coordinator, Pastor Amos, bookkeeping, and Pastor Jonas, computer data entry. Pastor LeFleur does counseling with the children when they come in for their monthly support, and Lucner translates their quarterly letters to the sponsors. Judging from this week, I think I’m going to enjoy my job! During the summer, the children do not come for support, so the staff works shorter hours and does administrative work. This week, we are gearing up for school beginning September 1. All the students will come in for their support and tuition fees. Unfortunately, the tuition for many of the schools has skyrocketed over the summer and parents are very concerned about the rising cost of education. Combined with the increase in food prices, it seems like the situation is getting tense. There has been talk of demonstrations starting tomorrow. I’ll keep you all updated on the situation.

Tuesday was my first lady’s tea. It’s a tradition that the missionary women get together on Tuesdays to chat, reconnect, drink tea, and have a little treat. It’s like a meeting of the United Nations. There’s the German contingency with some French, the Americans, and everybody’s speaking Creole. Being me, I knocked over a full glass of juice in the first five seconds. After sitting in the German/French section for a while, I moved down the table to the American conversation where someone asked me, “What did you sacrifice to come down here?” I said ten words about my family, promptly burst into tears, and had to excuse myself in shame. When will I learn to behave? Thankfully, they seem like Godly, forgiving women, and they will probably let me come to tea again this week.

Wednesday was my second session of missionary church, and I was so engrossed in the message on worship that I forgot to take pictures. I’ll make sure to document that next week. On Thursday, we had an unusual occurrence at Child Sponsorship. For the first time in ten years, Marie Lucie locked all the keys in the office. Let’s just say this: we can now be sure that the office is very secure. It took a big generator, a blowtorch, two men, and an hour to help us break into our own office!

Friday, John and I went to the village of Triverny. We had some new children entering the program, and we went to take pictures, do case histories, and help them write their first sponsor letters. It was a beautiful area, and the children were sweet and helpful. I spent the day Saturday just reading, playing games with the Gutweins, trying my hand in the neighborhood volleyball merriment, and enjoying the time of rest.

Today was a great day! The Gutweins attend the MEBSH church at Bambou, and Sheila and I tagged along for the day. The singing was very uplifting, and I was impressed by the quality and enthusiasm of the church congregation. Jan was able to translate some of the message for me. After church, we went into town for extra supplies, just in case the roads are blocked tomorrow. It’s always good to be prepared! After a little Sunday afternoon laziness, Sheila and I accepted a very nice invitation for German coffee issued by two single missionary ladies, Suzanne and Beth. We had pumpkin cake and some other delicious cake-like-thing made of chocolate, marshmallows, and Coke. I had a truly excellent time discussing the Haitian culture, jobs, families, and friends. It was a great way to end to week and begin a new one.

I’m not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I am sure that it is in God’s hands. If anything, this week has taught me about how my life will probably be in Haiti – unpredictable! Please pray that this week will pass peacefully as the Haitians prepare to start school and a huge thanks to everyone who wrote an encouraging message or said a prayer on my behalf for this past week. I very much enjoyed reading the comments you left for me and hope you will continue to do so.

Enjoy my pictures from Haiti this week. I love you all!

http://picasaweb.google.com/aheartforhaiti/August2008II

In His service,
Abby

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I shared your blog with Aunt Phyl, now she can keep up with two overseas Gerber girls. Think of you often. God's gift of technology allows us to stay day-to-day close no matter the miles. Take care. Blessings, Kathy

Leah said...

I'll be praying that things stay peaceful. You certainly had an interesting week. I liked your caption about living on a tropical island. I bet there are moments when it still seems a little unreal. I am glad to know that your office is VERY secure(and I hope that you don't have to use a torch to get into it again anytime soon)! I pray for you and your family everyday. Lots of Love, Leah

Pam said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog and seeing the pictures, Abby. It gives me a better picture of life in Haiti and the people I work with there.
God be with you.

Love,
Pam